Top 10 July 2021 Social Media Updates
While we’re always actively looking out for notable changes, this will be the first installment of Smirk’s new series that summarizes the top updates from each major social platform every month.
An Update Rundown
Here’s our hand-picked list of the biggest platform updates we think you should know, especially if you’re a marketer:
- Head of Instagram Adam Mosseri announced that the platform would shift from being primarily a photo-sharing app into focusing on four key areas — creators, video, shopping and messaging
- In an effort to reduce targeted abuse by groups, Instagram has begun testing new ’comment limits’
- Users can continue a conversation in the form of ‘Threads’, currently being tested on the platform
- Facebook shared information about their News Feed algorithm in a new video
- Twitter teases the removal of ‘Fleets’ next month
- The platform is testing a new feature that allows users to share specific tweets with only a select audience. The feature is similar to the ‘close friends’ feature on Instagram
- In order to limit exposure to harmful content on the app, the platform has begun implementing automated removals of videos
- By encouraging users to submit video resumes, TikTok is helping job-seekers find new opportunities
- Through YouTube’s ‘New to You’ feature, you can discover new content from channels that are similar to your interests
- All weight loss-related ads are being banned from the platform
Staying in the Know
Not paying attention to changes that happen on key platforms for your brand can hurt you more than help you — no business can get away with using the same social media strategy and content approach for years on end. Stay too stagnant, and you’ll inevitably risk not reaching your intended audience or setting yourself apart from your biggest competitors.
Feeling overwhelmed with the task of managing your social media accounts while staying on top of current trends? Let’s free you from the burden of keeping up with constant platform changes and help you elevate your social strategy. See where your brand accounts stand against competitors by taking a moment to chat with a member of the Smirk team.