Twitter Rolls Out Undo Option, Tip Jars and More
Twitter recently announced a number of platform updates, including changes to their user verification process and new audio channels called Spaces.
These all-access features come alongside the debut of Twitter Blue, a paid premium service. The monthly subscription option was announced less than a year after Twitter’s significant data breach, which still has some users weary of returning to the social platform.
And for those wondering, no, a free Twitter is not going away, and never will. This subscription offering is simply meant to add enhanced and complementary features to the already existing Twitter experience for those who want it.
Twitter Blue Offerings
Twitter Blue is currently being tested in Australia and Canada. For $3.49 CAD or $4.49 AUD monthly, users will have access to “premium features.”
Here’s a quick rundown of what those initial features will look like:
- Bookmark Folders: Users will have the ability to organize saved tweets.
- Undo Tweet: With a customizable timer of up to 30 seconds, users will have the chance to ‘Undo’ a tweet before publishing.
- Preview: Before posting a tweet, users will be able to preview that tweet to see how it will appear on the timeline.
- Reader Mode: Threads will be turned into easier-to-read chunks of text.
- Customizable App Icons: The Twitter app icon can be customized with different color themes.
- Customer support: Twitter Blue users will have access to a subscription customer support team.
Additional Platform Updates
Along with these subscription-based opportunities, Twitter’s also working to roll out a few more free features for all users.
Some of the future changes and some that have already been implemented:
- Spaces Tab: Currently in development, Twitter is working on launching a tab dedicated to Spaces. This will aid users in discovering in-progress audio chats that you can tune into.
- Spaces Highlight: When a user is participating in an audio stream, their profile image will have a visible purple ring around it.
- Verification: Twitter recently relaunched the verification application process along with new guidelines for verified users.
- Tip Jar: A limited group of Twitter users now have the ability to add a Tip Jar to their profile. This gives their followers the ability to send them money through a variety of payment services.
- Super Follows: Now being tested, users will be able to pay people they follow for access to exclusive content.
Don’t Get Left Behind
Whether you opt to pay for your brand account to have access to Twitter Blue or decide to stick with the platform’s free features, the rapid evolution of audience interaction cannot be ignored. Taking the time to understand these changes to the platform is crucial to not getting left in the dust by those in your industry competing for your audience’s attention.
Much like how every social platform isn’t necessary or appropriate for every single brand, these new Twitter features may not all be the right fit for your business — that’s okay! One of the reasons we love staying up-to-date on trends is that it allows us not only to find new marketing opportunities for our clients, but also help them determine which avenues and features are the best to pursue based on their industry, audience and unique goals. Having a digital marketing partner means you don’t have to make those determinations alone. It’s a strategic advantage to have an advocate as you navigate big platform updates like this.
Client Service Director
Keeping Track of Changes
With our social media management services, you can trust that we’re constantly on the lookout for new ways to reach your audiences across all relevant social platforms.
Twitter can be overwhelming, especially if you’re not quite certain how to use it for your brand. Not sure which updates you should take advantage of and which ones aren’t necessary? Let’s connect.