Category: Smirk culture
Smirk New Media announced Monday Allie Carrick has been named president and managing partner, effective immediately.
Carrick is a six-year veteran of Smirk and has served as managing director for the last year-and-a-half. She will now lead Smirk’s team of strategists and handle day-to-day operations.
Founder Mike Koehler will remain chief strategist, focusing on strategic partnerships, brand growth and future initiatives.
“Allie has been an essential piece of Smirk’s growth since the minute she joined the team. We believe, without question, she is the top digital marketer in the state and her work reflects that,” said Koehler, who launched Smirk in 2010. “We see this as another chapter in the company’s progress. Allie will inspire our team every day.”
Under Carrick’s leadership, Smirk has expanded its brand portfolio and improved execution across its clientele. These actions helped drive solid topline growth and expanded the company’s market share in Oklahoma City and beyond.
“In an industry that never stands still, I’m excited to take this step forward as we continue to grow and expand our services,” Carrick said. “I am proud to work with our team to produce cutting edge digital strategies, original content and an empowered staff in a culture of creativity and innovation.”
Koehler looks forward to concentrating his attention on bringing more of the innovations to digital marketing that lead Smirk to be the first independent social media marketing agency in Oklahoma.
“I’ll spend a lot of my time thinking deep thoughts about how digital marketing is changing the world and keeping Smirk on top of it,” Koehler said. “This continues to be a revolutionary business, and the future is very, very bright.”
Carrick is also the past president of OKC Social, the local professional group for digital marketers.
About Smirk New Media
Founded in 2010, Smirk New Media specializes in all things digital, executing robust digital marketing strategies and social media management for organizations of every size and industry. Smirk’s team is a powerhouse of marketing, social media, SEO, pay-per-click, public relations and advertising experience. Smirk serves clients across the U.S. from its headquarters in Oklahoma City.
Smirk New Media is looking for an experienced communicator and innovative digital marketing pro to join our team in Oklahoma City. Our strategists are problem-solvers for our clients’ digital marketing needs. They work on a range of projects, promoting and protecting our client’s online success with great content and informed strategy.
Check out the position description below and let us know if you think you’re up to the job.
Digital Marketing Strategist
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Time Requirement: FT 40 Hours / Week
Working with our senior staff, strategists collaborate on client social media strategies and are responsible for day-to-day execution of social media campaigns; tasks include creative brainstorming, content creation, monitoring, profile maintenance, frequent engagement/conversation, customer service, targeting and managing advertising campaigns as well as analyzing metrics.
We need a team player who can wear a wide range of hats (these are metaphorical, you will not be required to actually wear a hat), will take ownership of his or her projects, and can move seamlessly between the strategic and the tactical.
Why Smirk? Smirk is one of the fastest growing independent digital marketing agencies in the region, working with brands of all sizes from local businesses to Fortune 500 companies. We love what we do and who we work with. We’re passionate about going above and beyond for our clients. We challenge ourselves to deliver more creative, cohesive and engaging content to help our clients stand out from the crowd — and we have a great time doing it.
What We’d Like to See
- Creative, versatile self-starter who is comfortable with both taking initiative and working in collaboration.
- Visual thinker with an eye for dynamic images or video.
- Strong verbal and writing skills as well as a keen eye for detail.
- Active accounts across key social media platforms including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. If you haven’t updated your account since attending your cousin’s birthday party in 2015, we’ll notice.
- Team player able to seamlessly integrate with a diverse group.
- Ability to meet deadlines and organize the many details that need to come together to create a big impact for our clients.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop digital marketing strategies that meet client objectives.
- Write creative, engaging marketing content specific to each social media platform.
- Craft website copy using effective SEO practices for client websites.
- Stay current on the latest digital trends.
- Analyze metrics on engagement and follower growth and adapt content strategies accordingly.
- Collaborate closely with our group of strategists in design, strategy, and production of client websites or social media content.
- Prepare monthly reports to update staff/clients on predetermined metrics.
- Work in a laid back, yet ambitious team culture with a flexible schedule.
- The opportunity to work with an interesting and varied group of clients.
- Unlimited access to the Ms. Pac Man machine in our office.
To apply, please send your resume to email@example.com.
“I have a dream…”
Delivered by one of the greatest orators ever, Martin Luther King, Jr., this speech still echoes the fundamental beliefs of the civil rights movement decades after it was spoken. The March on Washington, where this famous moment occurred, was one of the largest public relations events of the 20th Century. 250,000 civil rights supporters attended and the speech was live on TV and radio.
There are many valuable lessons to draw from Dr. King’s work as a human rights activist, organizer and preacher. As communicators, here is some of the wisdom we found in his work.
The most effective messages are easily remembered and repeatable. Martin Luther King spoke about dreams for years, crafting his message with similar language. For example, he spoke about his dreams in Detroit in June 1963, hitting a lot of the same talking points as the famous “I Have a Dream” speech in DC. Communicators are most effective when they identify their main points, supporting facts and emphasize them consistently across platforms.
Speak To Your Audience
Dr. King, who earned his Ph.D. from Boston University, had the “ability” to speak academically about the plight of the African-American person in a segregated America. Instead, he referenced examples that his audiences could understand. For example, he said he dreamed of the day “little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.” Dr. King spoke to people on all sides of civil rights: for, against and neutral. As his audience changed, so did his messaging and references for clearer resonance. The objective doesn’t define your message — the audience does.
Make It Personal
Dr. King often spoke about his children and his vision for their future. Most parents, no matter their race or creed, can relate to the hopes a father has for his young children. Making your message relatable can transform your audience’s viewpoint, helping them see your message through a personal lens.
Be a Connector
Effective communication is generally a two-way street. Dr. King never appeared rattled by all the external forces working against the cause — even those threatening his life. While many of us don’t face the dangers Dr. King did — when things feel out of control — communicators need to take a deep breath, be steady and provide the voice of reason. We love social media because it’s accessible, but this accessibility can create difficult situations for brands. Everyone has an opportunity to be heard. Free and open digital platforms are equalizers. Good communicators are open and responsive to both positive or negative discourse.
Oklahoma City is host to the third largest MLK Day parade in the country. The parade ran through Automobile Alley today and our team attended to celebrate with hundreds of others honoring his legacy and impact.
Hey friends, Smirk New Media is hunting for another person on our team. This time, we’d like to find a specialist in digital and social media ads – Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.
Below is a job description. Hit us up if you can do it:
Digital Advertising Strategist
LOCATION: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
TIME REQUIREMENT: PT 20 Hours/Week or FT 40 Hours / Week
Smirk New Media is in search of someone with a particular set of skills.
Based on a swelling demand for digital advertising services, Smirk New Media is looking to add a campaign-running, audience-targeting, innovative ninja* to join our team in Oklahoma City. (*-You don’t have to be an actual ninja)
Our digital ad strategist is a problem-solver for our clients in the complex area of digital advertising on all social media platforms. They work on a range of projects, promoting and protecting our client’s online success with informed strategy.
Working with our senior staff, a digital ad strategist will collaborate on ad campaign strategies and will be responsible for day-to-day execution of those campaigns, focusing on how best to use client ad dollars, how to A/B test social media ads, deliver measurable results to clients and how to find the right target audiences for their messages. Bottom line: You need to know how to target a 63-year-old grandmas in Western Oklahoma who loves country music and Mountain Dew and get them to answer a call to action.
This is not a job for someone who wants us to teach them how to do this, we need people who have run campaigns and can show results.
We need a team player who can wear a wide range of hats, will take ownership of his or her projects, and can move seamlessly between the strategic and the tactical.
Smirk New Media’s team is a diverse powerhouse of web content, marketing, public relations, media and writing experience. We are one of the fastest growing digital agencies in the region, working with brands of all sizes from local businesses to Fortune 500 companies. We love what we do, who we do it with and we’re passionate about going above and beyond for our clients. We continuously challenge ourselves to deliver more creative, cohesive and engaging content to help our clients stand out from the crowd and we have a great time doing it.
What we’d like to see:
- Creative, versatile self-starter who is comfortable with both taking initiative and working in collaboration
- Experience advocating for social media marketing best practices and an awareness of emerging ad strategy trends, tools and technology
- Active accounts across key social media platforms including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc
- Strong verbal and writing skills as well as a keen eye for detail
- Team player able to integrate with a diverse team full of opinions and ideas
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage the many details that need to come together to create big impact for our clients
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop digital advertising strategies that meet client objectives
- Create engaging ad content specific to each social media platform
- Craft ad copy using effective practices for clients
- Stay current on the latest digital trends
- Consistently analyze account metrics on engagement and follower growth and adapt ad strategies accordingly
- Collaborate closely with our group of strategists in design, strategy, and production of social media channels
- Prepare monthly reports to update staff/clients on predetermined metrics
“What’s in it for me?”
- Work in a laid back, yet ambitious team culture with a flexible schedule
- The opportunity to work with a diverse group of clients
- Unlimited access to the Ms. Pac Man machine in our office
- Occasional donuts
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.