Month: April, 2017
In the years since social media first burst onto the scenes, there’s always been a jostling among the platforms to prove which is best, most popular and actually making a profit. Facebook has emerged as the giant, but that doesn’t mean the second place hasn’t turned into a mad scramble.
At Smirk New Media, we preach that your audience should dictate the platforms your business uses. It’s still true and the cornerstone of many strategies, but when it comes to walling off the contenders from the pretenders, what comes next?
In the case of Instagram vs. Snapchat, it’s the burden of quality.
I’ve been using both channels more over the past year, consuming Snapchat Stories, before Instagram replicated the concept, then continuing to watch them butt heads day after day.
Instagram has always been the better product, both for the user and for an advertiser, as well as an exceptional experience. Why? Because when you step into the Instagram mindset, part of that is an expectation is to post great photos. It’s also about extra takes of the overhead shots of your salad, snagging the best Oklahoma sunset and, of course, the kids.
Something clicks when a user is on Instagram that doesn’t click when they are on Snapchat. Maybe it’s because Snapchat still carries around its grimy reputation that it’s not a showcase of the photos as much as it is of immediacy? That’s all fine and good until they compete on equal ground on something like stories and pursue brands.
A story that tells an experience – a trip to the Oklahoma City Thunder game or a special trip with your family – has so much more vitality on Instagram. When a brand approaches both, ready to spend dollars to promote quality content, they are going to choose (demographics being equal) where quality is built into the social media community.
During this battle with Snapchat, Instagram continues to survive, thrive and innovate under the protective parentage of Facebook. And with more than a billion users worldwide, Facebook remains the undisputed giant of social media, but Instagram is quickly becoming its most gifted and talented child.
Smirk New Media is looking for an experienced communicator and innovative digital marketing pro to join our team in Oklahoma City. Our strategists are problem-solvers for our clients’ digital marketing needs. They work on a range of projects, promoting and protecting our client’s online success with great content and informed strategy.
Check out the position description below and let us know if you think you’re up to the job.
Digital Marketing Strategist
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Time Requirement: FT 40 Hours / Week
Working with our senior staff, strategists collaborate on client social media strategies and are responsible for day-to-day execution of social media campaigns; tasks include creative brainstorming, content creation, monitoring, profile maintenance, frequent engagement/conversation, customer service, targeting and managing advertising campaigns as well as analyzing metrics.
We need a team player who can wear a wide range of hats (these are metaphorical, you will not be required to actually wear a hat), will take ownership of his or her projects, and can move seamlessly between the strategic and the tactical.
Why Smirk? Smirk is one of the fastest growing independent digital marketing agencies in the region, working with brands of all sizes from local businesses to Fortune 500 companies. We love what we do and who we work with. We’re passionate about going above and beyond for our clients. We challenge ourselves to deliver more creative, cohesive and engaging content to help our clients stand out from the crowd — and we have a great time doing it.
What We’d Like to See
- Creative, versatile self-starter who is comfortable with both taking initiative and working in collaboration.
- Visual thinker with an eye for dynamic images or video.
- Strong verbal and writing skills as well as a keen eye for detail.
- Active accounts across key social media platforms including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. If you haven’t updated your account since attending your cousin’s birthday party in 2015, we’ll notice.
- Team player able to seamlessly integrate with a diverse group.
- Ability to meet deadlines and organize the many details that need to come together to create a big impact for our clients.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop digital marketing strategies that meet client objectives.
- Write creative, engaging marketing content specific to each social media platform.
- Craft website copy using effective SEO practices for client websites.
- Stay current on the latest digital trends.
- Analyze metrics on engagement and follower growth and adapt content strategies accordingly.
- Collaborate closely with our group of strategists in design, strategy, and production of client websites or social media content.
- Prepare monthly reports to update staff/clients on predetermined metrics.
- Work in a laid back, yet ambitious team culture with a flexible schedule.
- The opportunity to work with an interesting and varied group of clients.
- Unlimited access to the Ms. Pac Man machine in our office.
To apply, please send your resume to email@example.com.